The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that 15 films in the Documentary Feature category will advance in the voting process for the 87th Oscars®. One hundred thirty-four films were originally submitted in the category.
The 15 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title, with their production companies:
- "Art and Craft," Purple Parrot Films
- "The Case against 8," Day in Court
- "Citizen Koch," Elsewhere Films
- "CitizenFour," Praxis Films
- "Finding Vivian Maier," Ravine Pictures
- "The Internet’s Own Boy," Luminant Media
- "Jodorowsky’s Dune," City Film
- "Keep On Keepin’ On," Absolute Clay Productions
- "The Kill Team," f/8 filmworks
- "Last Days in Vietnam," Moxie Firecracker Films
- "Life Itself," Kartemquin Films and Film Rites
- "The Overnighters," Mile End Films West
- "The Salt of the Earth," Decia Films
- "Tales of the Grim Sleeper," Lafayette Film
- "Virunga," Grain Media
The Academy’s Documentary Branch determined the shortlist in a preliminary round of voting. Documentary Branch members will now select the five nominees from among the 15 titles.
The 87th Academy Awards® nominations will be announced live on Thursday, January 15, 2015, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
The Oscars will be held on Sunday, February 22, 2015, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood, and will be televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.