The “Manchester by the Sea” Academy Award-winning Actor will have a Two-Year Production Deal with Amazon Studios
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NASDAQ: AMZN)— Amazon Studios has closed an exclusive first-look production deal with Oscar winner Casey Affleck under his new production banner Sea Change Media. The two-year deal will cover both film and television projects.
“Casey is not only a brilliant actor as we’ve seen in Manchester by the Sea, but also has a profound sense for powerful and affective storytelling”
Last year, Affleck and Amazon Studios worked together on Kenneth Lonergan's highly acclaimed feature Manchester by the Sea, which earned Affleck numerous awards including a Golden Globe, BAFTA and ultimately the Academy Award for Best Actor. Manchester by the Sea is available now for streaming and download on Prime Video.
“This deal with Casey exemplifies our focus in expanding Amazon Studios’ relationships with top-notch filmmakers and content creators,” said Roy Price, Head of Amazon Studios. “Our goal is to be in business with high caliber talent in order to grow our slate of quality content for our customers.”
“Casey is not only a brilliant actor as we’ve seen in Manchester by the Sea, but also has a profound sense for powerful and affective storytelling,” said Jason Ropell, VP of Worldwide Motion Pictures, Amazon Studios. “We are excited to further our relationship with Casey and look forward to our future collaborations.”
Sea Change Media looks to develop bold, authentic, smart content, shining a light on underrepresented voices and stories, and operating with a philosophy of inclusivity and collaboration. Whitaker Lader serves as head of production and development.
Affleck is currently in post-production on his directorial feature Light of my Life, which he also wrote and stars in. The story follows a father (Affleck) and daughter living on the outskirts of society destabilized by a deadly pandemic. Reuniting with director David Lowery for the third time, he recently wrapped The Old Man and the Gun, starring opposite Robert Redford and Sissy Spacek. Up next, Affleck is set to star in Stoner for director Joe Wright, based on the beloved 1965 novel by John Williams.
As previously announced, Amazon Studios have exclusive first-look production deals with Bona Fide Productions, Killer Films and Le Grisbi Productions.
Affleck is represented by WME and Ziffren Brittenham.
About Amazon Studios
Amazon Studios brings bold and innovative series and films from top tier and up-and-coming creators to customers in over 200 countries and territories. Original productions range from bold and timely subject matter such as Jill Solloway’s award-winning Transparent and acclaimed filmmaker Spike Lee’s Chi-raq; to the critically hailed The Grand Tour, Mozart in the Jungle and Man in the High Castle. In film, Amazon Studios produces and acquires original movies for theatrical release and early window distribution exclusively for Amazon Prime members. At the 2017 Academy Awards, Amazon Studios became the first streaming service to win an Oscar for Manchester by the Sea (Best Screenplay, Kenneth Lonergan and Best Actor, Casey Affleck) and The Salesman (Best Foreign Film). Notable releases this year include the box office success Michael Showalter’s The Big Sick, Matt Ruskin’s Crown Heights, Todd Haynes’ Wonderstruck coming on October 20, Richard Linklater’s Last Flag Flying on November 3 and Woody Allen’s Wonder Wheel on December 1.
About Amazon Video
Amazon Video is a premium on-demand entertainment service that offers customers the greatest choice in what to watch, and how to watch it. Amazon Video is the only service that provides all of the following:
- Prime Video: Thousands of movies and TV shows, including popular licensed and self-published content plus critically-acclaimed and award-winning Amazon Original Series and Movies from Amazon Studios like Transparent, The Man in the High Castle, Love & Friendship and kids series Tumble Leaf, available for unlimited streaming as part of an Amazon Prime membership. Prime Video is also now available to customers in more than 200 countries and territories around the globe at www.primevideo.com.
- Amazon Channels: Over 100 channel subscriptions that Prime members can add to their membership, including HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ, Cinemax, PBS KIDS, Acorn TV and more, plus Anime Strike – the first curated on-demand subscription by Amazon Channels. To view the full list of channels available, visit www.amazon.com/channels
- Rent or Own: Hundreds of thousands of titles, including new-release movies and current TV shows available for on-demand rental or purchase for all Amazon customers
- Instant Access: Instantly watch anytime, anywhere through the Amazon Video app on TVs, mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire tablets, or online. For a list of all compatible devices visit www.amazon.com/howtostream
- Premium Features: Top features like 4K Ultra HD, High Dynamic Range (HDR), X-Ray and mobile downloads for offline viewing of select content
In addition to Prime Video, the Prime membership includes unlimited fast free shipping options across all categories available on Amazon, more than two million songs and thousands of playlists and stations with Prime Music, secure photo storage with Prime Photos, unlimited reading with Prime Reading, unlimited access to a digital audiobook catalogue with Audible Channels for Prime, a rotating selection of free digital games and in-game loot with Twitch Prime, early access to select Lightning Deals, exclusive access and discounts to select items, and more. To sign-up for Prime or to find out more visit: www.amazon.com/prime.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.