Second Season Pickup Comes Just One Week After Successful Debut on Prime Video
Amazon Studios Also Announces New Overall Deal with Modern Love executive producer John Carney
CULVER CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NASDAQ: AMZN) — Amazon Prime Video announced that it has ordered a second season of the half-hour romantic anthology series, Modern Love. Modern Love, which debuted globally on Prime Video on October 18, 2019 is inspired by the popular The New York Times column of the same name. The series explores love in all of its complicated and beautiful forms, as each standalone episode brings some of the column’s most beloved stories to life with a stellar cast. Season two of Modern Love will premiere on Prime Video in 2020 in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide.
“Being given a green light to proceed with Modern Love is a great opportunity for us to continue to tell stories of love, while opening up the series into new cities and worlds. The possibilities are truly endless”
Amazon Studios today also announced a new overall deal with John Carney (Once, Sing Street), the writer, director and executive producer of Modern Love.
“Since its debut just last week, the reaction to Modern Love from viewers has been incredible. It’s a show with so much emotion and warmth – every episode touches the heart in a different way,” said Jennifer Salke, Head of Amazon Studios. “We’re so excited we’ll be able to bring our global Prime Video customers more of the beautiful stories of romance, friendship, and family from Modern Love.”
“Being given a green light to proceed with Modern Love is a great opportunity for us to continue to tell stories of love, while opening up the series into new cities and worlds. The possibilities are truly endless,” said Carney. “Subsequent seasons can really branch out and dig deep into what it means to love in this complicated world. It’s incredible news for everyone involved in the series, and we are dizzy with possibilities moving forward.”
Said Daniel Jones, editor of the “Modern Love” column, The New York Times: “I couldn't be prouder of this show, and the global outpouring of emotion has frankly blown me away. John Carney managed to honor the complexity of the original column while making a series that’s beautiful, upbeat and hopeful. I can't wait to get to work on Season 2.”
Among the first season stars are Jane Alexander (“The Good Fight”), Sofia Boutella (“Kingsman: The Secret Service”), Gary Carr (“The Deuce,” “Downton Abbey”), Olivia Cooke (“Ready Player One”), Emmy Award nominee Brandon Victor Dixon (“Power”), Emmy Award winner Tina Fey (“30 Rock”), Tony Award winner John Gallagher, Jr. (“The Newsroom”), Academy Award nominee Andy Garcia (“Ocean’s Eleven”), Emmy Award winner Julia Garner (“Ozark”), Brandon Kyle Goodman (“Plus One”), Academy Award winner Anne Hathaway (“Ocean’s Eight”), Academy Award nominee Catherine Keener (“Get Out”), Caitlin McGee (“Bluff City Law”), Cristin Milioti (“Black Mirror”), Academy Award nominee Dev Patel (“Lion”), Laurentiu Possa (“Killing Eve”), James Saito (“Always Be My Maybe”), Andrew Scott (“Fleabag”), Emmy Award nominee John Slattery (“Mad Men”) and Shea Whigham (“Homecoming”).
Carney, Todd Hoffman, Trish Hofmann, and Anthony Bregman are executive producers of Season Two of Modern Love. Sam Dolnick and Choire Sicha of The New York Times also serve as executive producers and Daniel Jones serves as consulting producer. Modern Love is produced by Amazon Studios, Storied Media Group, Likely Story, and The New York Times.
Prime members can stream season one of Modern Love exclusively via the Prime Video app for TVs, connected devices including Fire TV, mobile devices and online at www.amazon.com/modernlove. Members can also download the series to mobile devices for offline viewing at no additional cost to their membership. The series is a global release and available on PrimeVideo.com for Prime Video members in more than 200 countries and territories.
Customers who are not already Prime members can sign up for a free trial at www.amazon.com/prime. For a list of all Prime Video compatible devices, visit www.amazon.com/howtostream.
About Prime Video
Prime Video is a premium streaming service that offers customers a vast collection of digital videos—all with the ease of finding what they love to watch in one place.
- Included with Prime Video: Watch thousands of popular movies and TV shows, including our critically-acclaimed Amazon Originals such as the Emmy Award-winning comedies Fleabag and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, The Boys, Homecoming, Hanna, Good Omens, Carnival Row, Mindy Kaling’s Late Night, Donald Glover’s Guava Island, the Academy Award-winning Manchester by the Sea and The Salesman, Academy Award-nominated The Big Sick and Cold War, exclusives, live sports including Thursday Night Football and licensed and self-published content available in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide.
- Watch more with Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add 150+ channels in the US like HBO, Cinemax, STARZ, SHOWTIME, CBS All Access, NBA League Pass and MLB.tv —no extra apps to download, and no cable required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. View the full list of channels available at amazon.com/channels.
- Rent or Buy: Enjoy hundreds of thousands of titles, including new-release movies and entire seasons of current TV episodes, available for all Amazon customers to rent or buy.
- Instant access: Watch where and when you want with the Prime Video app on your smart TV, mobile device, Fire TV, Fire tablet, Apple TV, Chromecast, game consoles, Comcast X1 or from the web. For a complete list of compatible devices, visit amazon.com/howtostream.
- Enhanced experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD- and High Dynamic Range (HDR)-compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favorite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
In addition to access to movies and TV shows included with Prime, Prime members enjoy the best of shopping and entertainment from Amazon, including free one-day delivery coast to coast on more than 10 million items, deep discounts on select popular products at Whole Foods Market, more than two million songs and thousands of playlists and stations with Prime Music, secure photo storage with Amazon Photos, unlimited access to more than 1,000 books and magazines with Prime Reading, free games with Twitch Prime, early access to select Lightning Deals, and more. To sign-up or start a free trial of Amazon Prime visit: amazon.com/prime.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.